On Sunday 18 August 2002 12:26 pm, Isaac Curtis wrote:
> On Sunday 18 August 2002 12:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I used to run an ISP
> >
> > I also have my system configured so I can dial into it
> > while I am on the road.  This gives me internet and mail
> > access.  (I have a T1 with my own mail server)
> >
> > You are going to run into a few of problems with your idea.
> >
> > 1.  It is probably against the user agreement of your isp.
> > 2.  You will need additional phone lines at your location ($12-$15 each)
> > 3.   You will need to have the phone company "roll over" all calls to
> > your extra lines to 1 number.
> > 4.  YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROVIDE MORE THAN 33.6K CONNECTIONS
> >      to your friends and family without digital lines at your location.
> > In order to get the "fast" 56k, you gotta be digital (at least on the
> > dial-in server side)
> > 5.  Without setting up your own mail server, you will not be able to
> > provide email addresses for your "clients"
> >
> > You will run into more.
> >
> > If your motive for this project is to learn about dial up servers, it is
> > a great project.
> >
> > If your motive is profit,  forget it.   Hire a professional to do the
> > setup.
> >
> > Todd
>
> 1. As is what I (and most all of you) are doing right now in our own
> homes-- sharing the connection among multiple computers on a LAN. User
> agreements be damned.
>
> 2. That's cool, if I actually went through with this as a middle-term thing
> I'd have to ask people to pick up the cost of the phone line. Still, it may
> just end up being a weekend endeavor playing around to get it set up and
> using my home's phone line to do it on.
>
> 3. There are only two households I'd be doing this for, but I also don't
> understand exactly what you mean. Can you explain?
>
> 4. Will a 33.6k connection shared by 2 modem clients (using the connection
> remotely) and my house (using the cable connection directly of course)
> provide service comparable to a busy local dialup ISP? If not, how
> significant would the difference be? If significant, what does being
> digital entail?
>
> 5. Both households (my family + my best friend & his wife) use internet
> mail accounts like hotmail already, so it wouldn't really matter. Still...
> if I could learn how to set up the mail server, that would be pretty darn
> cool. What would it involve?
>
> Last but not least-- profit is ABSOLUTELY of no interest. I wouldn't be
> charging a penny, this is my best friend and my family I'm talking about.
> If I charged them a thing it would only be way after I had completely
> learned how to do this cleanly and the only thing I'd be asking for was the
> exact amount necessary to pay the extra two phone bills. I'd also never
> even consider suggesting they use me as a primary source of internet access
> until I completely knew what I was doing and could be sure I'd be giving
> them something better than what they're getting elsewhere. A major issue is
> [...]
I use Cox Cable with a small business connection and they know and expect that
I will have a LAN connection to their system, I even have an extra static IP
for my web server, and the only down size is they have it throttled down to a
128kbs downlink, if I want more than that I buy it in $10/month increments,
bummer. So for now two computers share a 20Kbs d/l connection. It is better
than two phone lines and 4Kbs connections.  Point is, some ISPs are ok with a
LAN and some are not. Depends on your contract. Have fun,
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842