On Sunday 18 August 2002 12:00 pm, you wrote:
> On Friday 16 August 2002 10:21 pm, you wrote:
> > On Friday 16 August 2002 07:14, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > have you checked the systems at wallmart.com? no monitor (add whatever
> > > you want) but the computers w/mandrake installed are a hard price to
> > > beat. even as a reseller, with out "volume discounts" I cannot beat the
> > > price.
> >
> > I feel you but I'm building this myself so I get to deduct the cost of
> > labor from those machines. Plus the parts in those systems are garbage.
> > They are good enough to run Linux, but they rarely outlive their
> > warranties. Even when it only saves me $100 or so, I like building it
> > myself to know it was done right and with high quality parts. Peace.
> >
> > Isaac
>
> if all you save is 100.00, then you (may should) have some questions as to
> the quality of what you get. It does not hurt me at all to fess to that...
> how much can you charge in labor to put together pieces that could be
> purchased (assembled and configured) for less than you can purchase the
> pieces individuly?
>
> I cann't seem to find what exact MObo and brand of Harddrive or Mem. theese
> are "suposed  to have, so I am wondering about where you get your evidence
> about "the parts in those systems are garbage." and if you think you can
> save a buck building it yourself, without a good volume discount, I bet we
> would all like to see how you do that.

I went to Mwave.com and priced out (roughly) what I think the Walmart.com
system would cost in parts (I think Mwave is quality with reasonable (if not
the best) prices)

WallMart sytem                                                          Mwave Price
AMD Duron 1.3 GHz processor                                             64.00
200 MHz frontside bus                                                   MoBo
128 MB SDRAM, expandable to 1GB                                         30.00
40 GB Ultra ATA-100 hard drive, 5400 rpm                                80.00
(total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment)
52x CD-ROM drive                                                        40.00
3.5-inch floppy disk drive                                              15.00
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet connection                                   Mobo
PCI 56 Kbps Hardware modem                                              35.00
Integrated Trident Blade 2-D/3-D graphics                                       Mobo
Up to 8 MB shared video memory                                          Mobo
Integrated 3-D enhanced sound                                           Mobo
Micro ATX Tower Case (7.06" W x 14.7" D x 13.8" H)                      35.00
Total drive bays: two 5.25-inch external, two 3.5-inch external and one Case
3.5-inch internal
Available drive bays: 5.25-inch external and 3.5-inch external, 3.5-inch        Case
internal
Total slots: 3 PCI                                                      Mobo
Available slots: 2 PCI                                                  Mobo
High-speed serial port                                                  Mobo
Parallel port                                                           Mobo
2 USB ports                                                             Mobo
Game port                                                               Mobo
104-key keyboard                                                        10.00
2-button mouse w/wheel                                                  10.00
Audio port (line-in, line-out, mic-in)                                  Mobo
Stereo speakers                                                                 15.00
                                                                Mobo    75.00

now, unless I added something twice, or my numbers are way wrong (and I ain't
sure about a PCI hardware modem for 35.00, I did not see that and really did
not look, might be a few bucks more, but heck you might decide to use an HSP
modem for 35.00, 80.00 bucks is the price for the second modem you will use
<grin>), without paying for anyone's time or shipping of individual parts, it
seems to work out to $ 394.00, without really good parts, like an antec case
or fancy (read clean) powersupply. (speaking of lasting past the warrenty)
same machine, built configured and ready for yo to resell, (hint) 428.00.
hmmmmm how much are you thinking of making?