***OFF TOPIC ALERT***
***don't read if you're not interested***

On Sunday 18 August 2002 16:02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> >> would allow you to use some decent resolutions. Besides, who would EVER
> >> make the expense of purchasing a 1.3 GHz processor and then go and stick
> >> 128 MB of RAM in it? A system would run twice as fast with a simple 1.0
> >> GHz and 256 MB.
> >>
> >> This whole thing is a very unfair comparison. You're trying to compare a
> >> system at Wal Mart that uses not only generic and onboard EVERYTHING,
> >> but completely different parts. I'm talking 512 MB, you're talking 128,
> >> I'm using a 7200 RPM name brand hard drive, you're touting a 54 generic.
> >> I mean, I am talking about a $150 4.1 digital audio system with an
> >> excellent sound card, and you're trying to compare it to some $15
> >> speakers and onboard audio! Even if I used junk generic parts at the
> >> speeds and sizes I am talking about, I would only trim around 10% of the
> >> cost. And to what end? So that my computer will fall apart two years
> >> from now like the ones all my friends own? I just don't get the logic of
> >> buying crappy hardware, it never pays off in the long run.
> >>
> >> You're also talking about doing the whole thing through Wal-Mart. Let me
> >> get this right-- you run Linux because Bill Gates is the White Devil,
> >> but you go and buy your box from Wal-Mart? WAL-MART?! Why don't you just
> >> wait a few years and order all your Linux compatible hardware online
> >> from microsoft.com? I mean, come on... Wal Mart? How revolutionary is
> >> that? Where else can you get open source software and senior citizens
> >> making minimum wage to pay their prescription drug bills, all under the
> >> same roof? You fight the power, brother.
> >>
> >> Maybe I'm a little baised becuase WalMart is currently lobbying to be
> >> able to destroy a local marsh / Native American burial ground to put up
> >> a new supercenter in my hometown (the courts overturned the city's right
> >> to zone it as a non-commercial, protected wetland area and the
> >> Department of Environmental Protection is bending over for them now
> >> too), but I wouldn't even buy the hunk of junk you're talking about from
> >> a nice local business operating out of the downtown. All anti-WalMart
> >> politics aside, you're talking about a bunch of worthless hardware
> >> that's not even the same KIND of hardware I'm talking about. If you want
> >> to run computers like that, go right ahead, but I'd never, EVER consider
> >> sacrificing stability for price even in the most inexpensive entry-level
> >> $600 system.
> >>
> >> </rant>,
> >> Isaac
>
> Man, I am sorry to hear that in your part of the Country Wally mart was
> able to "trump" local desires, here (Union County, North Carolina) we had a
> WalMart that even broke ground for the building, and a local judge said
> "no-way- Jose" that the zoning called for a single store, and a Wallmart is
> so big, it has to be counted as a Mulit-store. and they stopped the
> project, took away the equipment, and has a sign up, for sale for a single

Yeah, Wal-Mart blows. Maine is generally an amazing state when it comes to
being anti-corporate, but the appelate court screwed us on this one. If a
city isn't allowed to decide what parts of it are allowed to be zoned in what
ways, who is? Some state environmental commission stocked with members
appointed by the Wal-Mart-loving governor (who also happened to come up with
that dumbass laptop proposal you have all probably heard about)? Lousy
situation all around. Too bad I can't bear the South, else I'd probably dig
your community.

>And I did not pick exact prices, nor did I pic the top or bottom of the line
> machine, just one to compare, and don't even know what Walmart really uses,
> these prices are just guesses, so 10.00 on any part is just my own guess as
> to what it would cost. I build my own systems (and so do a bunch of folks)
> because I like to, and I like to know what is "under the hood" but if price
> is the motivation, for resale, then I say consider the labor involved in
> your price structure, is all. I try not to consider all developement "bad"
> and try to co-exist with developments that seem deemed to work due to the
> massive scale of human life on the planet. I don't paticularly like
> WallyMart either, but I don't select one mega company over another, I try
> and select which items are best for me. _I_ do not run a computer from
> Micro-tel, but for an entry-level word-processor-e-mail-webbrowser,,,,

Word. I feel where you're coming from and to tell you the truth I blame local
businesses more than anyone else (including local consumers or Wal Mart) for
the whole mess. Ignoring the price gouging, which is illegal, Wal Mart does
honestly provide a service that local businesses simply refuse to compete
with. The local businesses get their asses kicked and they deserve it.
Instead of all trying to survive on their own playing David vs. Goliath
against Wally's World they need to come together and find a way to market
themselves collectively to compete with the megastores. I'm not saying merge
the downtown into one corporation, but who's going to go shopping for a
computer at a little Mom & Pop on the waterfront when they can shop from Wal
Mart and pick what they want before they even leave the house? Local
businesses need to combine their resources and produce product catalogs and
perhaps even websites to market themselves competitively. Many people go to
Wal Mart who would love to shop local simply because they know what Wal Mart
has without having to drive to the store and look.

I also have to admit that the lines I draw are quite arbitrary. I don't shop
at Wal Mart under any circumstances, but I shop at Ames/KMart if I can't find
what I need at a local business. I would be mortified to be caught in a
Starbucks, but on the rare occasion I am in the mood for iced coffee I head
straight for Dunkin Donuts. I don't buy my computers and almost never buy so
much as a stapler from Best Buy or Office Depot, but I have no qualms about
ordering online from some company that I am sure treats its workers no better
(like newegg.com). I won't shop at Borders or Barnes & Noble but I used to
order from amazon.com (one of the worst anti-labor corporations in the entire
country) until I heard of powells.com and 100fires.com. So while I act like
I've drawn all sorts of lines in the sand, all these distinctions are
honestly pretty weak. That doesn't mean you'll see me lounging in a Starbucks
tomorrow morning sipping a mocha latte, but it does mean I'll slowly try to
move toward being more consistent with my values and finding more productive
ways to express my politics.

> When I was about 10 (1965) years old, my father ran a company that sold
> beef to McDonald's all over the US. At a Christmas party, Ray Kroc was
> there, and about 12 pm he was a little drunk, and sitting in a corner near
> the Table (waiting for someone to come out of the restroom as I recall) and
> I got to ask him "why make the "bigMac" which was kinda new. his answer
> suprised me, since it was not anything you might expect this "father of
> franchise" to answer. Instead, he said he was concerned that the fast life
> of folks did not allow them a chance to get enough fruit of vegitable in
> their diet, and this was a way to improve the amount of food other than
> beef and bread in their diet. I don't eat McDonald's either, but at least I
> always try and remember that a "mega-company" may not have bad intentions,
> but may have someone at the helm who may not see the "big-Picture" the same
> as I do. My Mother was a "Proof Reader" with a masters in english. when
> Computers came along, she was out of a job she loved and had worked hard at
> for years, But I don't blame Word Perfect Corp.

That's a really neat story. I totally agree that people are rarely if ever
the problem. There are almost no cases where there's actually a secret room
full of rich old white men sitting around a table plotting the downfall of
mandkind, it's usually just people who simply have an analysis of the world
that misses out on something. Like WalMart offering consumers great low
prices on everything but paying all their workers peanuts and buying as much
as they can from countries where slave labor would be an improvement in
standard of living. This doesn't mean I think the companies suck any less,
but rather that I blame the whole profit motive much more than I blame any
individual person. It's like Ken Lay taking the fall for Enron. Doesn't do
any good to blame individuals because there are gaggles more like them
waiting in the wings to come in and do the same thing all over again. Enron
still sucks, though.

> The folks that could not get a job at "Pop's Hardware" because they were
> not related to "Pop" may not feel as bad about getting a job at walmart as
> you do about a walmart being built. not all change is good, but not all
> change is bad, either.

No argument from me on this. I just want to close saying that I looked back
on that email I sent and it came off as being pretty freaking pretentious.
All apologies for that and thanks for the chill response. I still think my
computer is cooler than yours, though, so HA! Take that, punk. Peace.

Isaac

"Don't think these record deals gonna feed your kids and pay your bills
Because they not
MC's get a little bit of love and think they hot
Talkin' bout how much money they got, all y'all records sound the same
I'm sick of that fake thug R & B rap scenario all day on the radio
Same scenes in the video, monotonous material, y'all don't here me though
These record labels slang our tapes like dope
You can be next in line, and signed, and still be writing rhymes and broke
Would you rather have a Lexus? Or Justice? A dream or some substance?
A Beamer? A necklace? Or Freedom?"

 - Dead Prez, "Hip Hop"