<snip> >> This whole thing is a very unfair comparison.
Yep, was not trying to be "fair" to the hardware, just to the "relative
Price Points"

You're trying to compare a
> > system at Wal Mart that uses not only generic and onboard EVERYTHING, but
> > completely different parts. I'm talking 512 MB, you're talking 128, I'm
> > using a 7200 RPM name brand hard drive, you're touting a 54 generic. I
> > mean, I am talking about a $150 4.1 digital audio system with an
> > excellent sound card, and you're trying to compare it to some $15
> > speakers and onboard audio! Even if I used junk generic parts at the
> > speeds and sizes I am talking about, I would only trim around 10% of the
> > cost. And to what end? So that my computer will fall apart two years from
> > now like the ones all my friends own? I just don't get the logic of
> > buying crappy hardware, it never pays off in the long run.
> >
> > You're also talking about doing the whole thing through Wal-Mart. Let me
> > get this right-- you run Linux because Bill Gates is the White Devil, but
> > you go and buy your box from Wal-Mart?
NO, NO, NO, I do not give "uncle Billy" the time of day, and and do not
believe he has the ability to jump high enough to "jump into my shit", but I
use Mandrake Linux because it works best for me. not even based on
dollar-value but of course it whups ass there too.

WAL-MART?! Why don't you just wait
> > a few years and order all your Linux compatible hardware online from
> > microsoft.com? I mean, come on... Wal Mart? How revolutionary is that?
> > Where else can you get open source software and senior citizens making
> > minimum wage to pay their prescription drug bills, all under the same
> > roof? You fight the power, brother.
I ain't here for politics, but I don't argue with a broken clock. just cause
that broken clock says 2:30, when it really is 2:30, I have to say it is
2:30 right now.
        I can't afford to waste my energy swimming upstream, just because I could
swim upstream. If the goal ain't worth the effort, why waste the effort?

> > Maybe I'm a little baised becuase WalMart is currently lobbying to be
> > able to destroy a local marsh / Native American burial ground to put up a
> > new supercenter in my hometown (the courts overturned the city's right to
> > zone it as a non-commercial, protected wetland area and the Department of
> > Environmental Protection is bending over for them now too), but I
> > wouldn't even buy the hunk of junk you're talking about from a nice local
> > business operating out of the downtown.
I am still wondering how can you be sure what kind of what you are getting
any way? how many possible linux compatible hard drives manufacturers (still
building 5400 RPM 40gig ata100), are there? less than 100 I bet (six or seven
I guess) and the basic chipsets are still the basic chipsets on cards of all
sorts, reguardless of final manufacturer. I would "rather" have a way of
knowing what day of the week and what time of day something was manufactured,
rather than the "brand name" or who sold it last.

All anti-WalMart politics aside,
> > you're talking about a bunch of worthless hardware that's not even the
> > same KIND of hardware I'm talking about.
hmmmm, I ain't sure what kind of computers they really breakdown too, and I
am sure they ain't got one for _me_ either, and I know it ain't the same, but
you can upgrade theirs, too.
<snip>
Muppetts Joke time
What time is it when you go to the Dentist? tooth-hurty (2:30) (damn that
broken clock)