Brian Parish wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 03:51, Mark Weaver wrote:
>
>>Albert Charron wrote:
>> > I know there is a problem with the defrag tool on WinME.  The problem
>> > is resolved with a patch download (though windows update).  The
>> > problem is not just related to dualboot.  In fact, the defrag utility
>> > (if not patched) can break your boot partition (even if it's a
>> > windows partition).
>> >
>> > I don't know if this thread is related exactly to this issue nor I
>> > can test it (I use Windows ME/XP and Linux on seperated machines).
>>
>>O, it's quite related, although you're likely going to be drawn and
>>quartered at sunrise for propogating windows knowledge on a Mandrake
>>Linux list. ';)
>>
>>Mark
>

> Well at the risk of being drawn and quartered, note that you can
> download a free version of Diskkeeper for 98/ME which will defrag your
> FAT32 partition in a fraction of the time compared with the garbage in
> W$ and probably with less likelihood of trashing your linux setup.
>
> HTH
> Brian

HI Brian,

I'll have to look into that. I know someone who could really put that to
good use. However, for my windows machines I've fallen in love with the
Norton System Works 2002. There's a disk utility on there, I think it's
called Speed Disk, that really makes short work of a defrag. My
workstation at work is a Win2K box with a 20GB drive and the thing was
finished with it in 20 minutes. 'Bout knock me for a loop when I came
back to my office and found it finished after running an early morning
errand.

Mark