> WILL Screw ME to hell & back.  They also screw linux most times.  Esp. if
> they do a surface scan & repair job.  Diskeeper is a little better from

Hmm. I recall borrowing a copy of some commercial drive "repair"
software - supposedly able to find and recover marginal sectors on
a drive. Anyway, the drive I had was a Seagate 125 megger (this was
back in 1992 or thereabouts). Anyhow, the software started out and then
quit several hours later 2/3 of the way through. I was left with a
pretty much damaged drive: part of the disk was good, the rest of it
was very prone to errors. Unfortunately, I was just getting introduced
to Unix at that time (imagine trying to maintain a partition on a
somewhat marginal drive, without the bad sector detection/avoidance --
at least back then, it was absent). :(

Glad I tossed that drive and got a Maxtor soon after. :) I installed
a (very old) distro of linux on that puppy and since then - no MS
anywhere on my drives.