Well I've set up a lot of dual boot machines and defragging the FAT32
partitions has never caused a problem (even using the crappy defragger
built in to 9x).  I've lost the original message, but it would seem that
we are tackling this from the wrong premise - i.e. that ME is just
lamentable and defragging is causing the problem.  Yes it is lamentable,
but it doesn't normally behave like this.

My guess is therefore, that there is something somewhat amiss with the
way your partitioning is setup.  Is there a disk geometry expert in the
house?

Brian