----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Slater" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2002 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] giving up the ship?

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:43:48 -0700 (PDT)
> Ibly Piblo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > How do you block Nimda attacks from your logs?
> >
> > Really, now, there must be a way,
> > I have tried script after script,
> > I am still getting attacked by this IP:
> >
> > 65.192.141.115
>
> Use iptables.
>
> iptables -A INPUT -s 65.192.141.115 -j DROP
>
> <snip>
> > Isnt there something easier, a script I can
> > just download and install?
>
> I use one that was posted on this list a while ago.
>
> > I'm going to aggressively fight back,
> > if there is a script that I can put in my
> > /bin directory that will scan my /var/tmp/blocked
> > file and instead of just ipchain-ing them out,
> > (INEFFECTIVE!) it will shut them down,
> > it is the only way.
>
> I believe Civileme posted a link to a page on PLF that contained such a
> script. Check the archives. It is annoying. I've been hit by 81 infected
> computers in a little over 2 weeks.
>
> If you drop them, they should not be showing up in your http logs.
> iptables gets flushed everytime you restart--could that be it? I run this
> if I have to restart:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> for idiot in `cat /var/tmp/blocked`
> do
>         iptables -A INPUT -s $idiot -j DROP
> done
> exit
>
> HTH,
> Todd
Another option is to put the offending IP address in your apache
commonhttpd.conf:

Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Deny from  65.192.141.115

You can list as many as you want
Then restart Apache
Once a week I go thru my logs and add the newest worst offenders, and remove
those that are over 2 months old.
Roy Murray
www.ServiceTechHelp.com
www.roymurray.net