On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 22:00, iggy wrote:

> I've been reading the documentation for mandrake 9.0 rc2 and came across this
> little gem of a linkat http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .
> I thought I'd share it with everyone as I can state, definatele, I've been
> guilty of these.  Maybe I'm not the only one :^)

It has value up to a point, but is too rigid and is ignorant of people
with abilities different to those of the author. It reminds me of the
frightful proscriptive grammar textbooks used when education was a
little less enlightened.

For example, "Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language"
sounds wonderful until someone who is dyslexic wants to ask a question,
for example; not everyone's strength is in the written form of a
language, and one has to be forgiving.

Alastair