> On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 22:00, iggy wrote:
>
> > I've been reading the documentation for mandrake 9.0 rc2 and came across this
> > little gem of a linkat http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .
> > I thought I'd share it with everyone as I can state, definatele, I've been
> > guilty of these.  Maybe I'm not the only one :^)
> It has value up to a point, but is too rigid and is ignorant of people
> with abilities different to those of the author. It reminds me of the
> frightful proscriptive grammar textbooks used when education was a
> little less enlightened.
>
> For example, "Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language"
> sounds wonderful until someone who is dyslexic wants to ask a question,
> for example; not everyone's strength is in the written form of a
> language, and one has to be forgiving.
>
> Alastair

<< signature.asc >>
Thank you Alastair...I agree. I love this interaction that goes on here. Makes me feel
like I have a whole bunch of friends out there who are a kind of "family".

Most of us have asked dumb questions, I know I sure have. If we adhered to the letter
of the "rules" as outlined in the "Smart Way" to ask, this wouldn't be near as much
fun. ;-)
Everyone is at a different of ability, and understanding.

IMHO, at least.

--Angus

"Live for today...but with a hope for tomorrow."--A.A.

Reg. Linux User #278931
Download the FREE Opera browser at www.opera.com/download/

Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/