Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

>On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 22:50, Jim Fazio wrote:
>

>>List,
>>      Does any have any preferences to which journalized filesystem I should
>>use in MDK 9.0.  I am assuming there is still three to choose from.  I'm
>>trying to research which is "best", but only finding older material.
>>Does anyone have a preference? Why?  Which filesystem is the default
>>now?  I want to map out my choices before I get there.
>>

>I believe in reliability in case of crash or power failure, so I use
>ext3.  Civileme likes XFS for it's performance and multimedia
>abilities.  The last thing I read from Sridhar, I think he was messing
>with Reiser. Not sure what Dfox is doing these days. ;)
>
>There are advantages and disadvantages to all the jfs's.  Ext3 is rock
>solid, with a slight performance hit.  But it gives you very good
>recovery, almost trouble free if your hardware is pristine, and it is
>the only filesystem that offers data journaling mode.  The others are
>metadata journaling filesystems; ext3 does both.  XFS can handle
>terabyte sized files (I think) but cannot support the full set of file
>attributes that ext3 can.  Reiser is reputed by most to be fast, by
>others to be trouble free, and yet others have had problems.  I'm not
>sure about full file attribute support in Reiser.

I suspect most of the reported Reiser problems were with early versions
of reiserfs (whic, like much UNIX-speak, I initially mis-read -  as
REI-serfs!).  I managed to completely mangle a Reiser box after a crash
by injudicious use of the associated FS tools, but to be fair, the
package did come up with one of those big cheery warnings along the
lines of "This is experimental software and using it can result in your
computer being reduced to a heap of melted silicon" or whatever.  I
think recent versions of reiserfs are pretty stable.  Having said that,
I may try ext3 when I get round to installing 9.0.  I have a box at work
with ext2, which I definitely don't want (given the frequency of power
failures here) so I'll test it on that.

Sir Robin

--
"Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans.
It's lovely to be silly at the right moment" - Horace

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Ankara 06533