On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 17:14, Jim Fazio wrote:
> List,
>       Thanks everyone for the comments.  One last question on the subject.
> When I read that ext3 is "slower" or "takes a performance hit", does
> this mean compared to the other journalized filesystems or also compared
> to ext2?  In other words is ext3 even slower that ext2?
>
> Jim F

Try this URL for some interesting information on Ext3:

http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/why.html

As for the performance, I'm reminded of Mark Twain's quote: "Reports of
my death were greatly exaggerated."  There's been alot of hype over
this, but from what I've seen it's related very strongly as to how the
ext3 filesystem is tuned.  If you are not paying attention to how it's
tweaked, then yes you can get some very bad numbers.  I've got a lowly
900 mhz Athlon workstation here and I've never been dissatisfied with
the performance (yet).  In other words, there's sort of a mob mentality
with regard to these ext3 performance issues.  Since it's Red Hat's
filesystem of choice, it is under quite a bit of scrutiny.

I saw some benchmark numbers at Red Hat (which I can't locate anymore)
that put ext3 performance in a light that was more or less on a par with
the other journaling filesystems.  One thing that you will notice
quickly when you get on google and start looking for filesystem
performance links is the jinormous amount of no information you will
get.  As Preed in Titan AE would say, "A virtual carnucopia of NOTHING."

If you are able to locate benches I would suggest you ignore anything
prior to the third quarter of 2001.

HTH,

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2