Anne Wilson wrote:

>>>Just as a matter of interest - are these problems occurring on usb devices
>>>joined to the motherboard, to hubs, or both?
>>>
>>>Anne
>>>

>>Well, I'm not entirely sure I understand the question.
>>I have 8 USB ports ,  a bank of the usual 2 and a bank of 6,
>>2 are physically attatched to the mobo, ported to the rear,
>>6 are on a rack and cable plugged to the mobo, ported to
>>the rear.
>>
>>As far as the usb hub is concerned they show up as 4 entries
>>in the kde -info-USB devices, like so,
>>USB  OHCI Root Hub
>>
>>   |____ Lexmark Z53 printer
>>
>>USB  OHCI Root Hub
>>USB  OHCI Root Hub
>>USB  OHCI Root Hub
>>
>>every now and again the printer drops out of recognition
>>and so I reboot which brings it back again,
>>
>>sometimes ,
>>modprobe usb-ohci      in a root terminal works,
>>sometimes it does not.
>>This happens in M8.2 , and was the norm from first boot on M9.0 beta2
>>I never got any futher than that as far as the later betas are concerned.
>>
>>Basically USB detection of my usb printer is erratic.
>>
>>I suppose I should mention that the 8 usb ports on my msi mobo
>>are both usb1 and usb2 , at least 4 of them can be usb2, I don't
>>believe mandrake configures any of them usb2 though.
>>

>Just trying to make sense of a situation where some people have big problems
>and others say everything's fine.  Two things spring to mind, that may give
>us some pointers.
>
>First - the issue of ohci and uhci - it would be interesting to know, of the
>people who are having problems, which protocol they are using.
>
>Second - I know that under windows some devices work find on the usb ports
>carried from the motherboard to the backplate, but don't work reliably on a
>hub hung from one of those ports.  I wondered if anything similar is showing
>up.
>
>No answers, but a few questions.
>
>Anne

Well, yes, and as you can see mine are all ohci  (incidentally what is
the difference between
ohci and uhci  anyway ?) and as far as I am aware uhci never appears
anywhere in my mandrake
OS,  but maybe others find this different.

No wait a minute I've just checked up on kde-info-USB devices, and again my
usb Z53 printer has vanished BUT , to prove me wrong the setup has changed,

USB OHCI Root Hub (1)
USB OHCI Root Hub (2)

and,

USB UHCI Root Hub (3)
USB UHCI Root Hub (4)
USB UHCI Root Hub (5)

So there is a clue, there's a battle going on for recognition between
ohci and uhci
and something triggers a change , now lets see what  modprobe usb-ohci does,

[root@localhost root]# modprobe usb-ohci -v
[root@localhost root]#

so that does nothing this time,  so lets try modprobe usb-uhci,

[root@localhost root]# modprobe usb-uhci -v
[root@localhost root]#

so that did nothing again,

I guess this means a reboot ,