On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 11:14, Marcia wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Well, now that I reinstalled LM9 with my HP printer as parallel, that
> works. I have the via chipset ac97 onboard sound and the sound is great
> when I play a CD, but I cannot get the mp3 players to work yet. Some
> system sounds work. This is my /etc/modules.conf.
>
> cat /etc/modules.conf
>
> probeall scsi_hostadapter ppa ide-scsi
> alias eth0 tulip
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-via8233
> probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
> above snd-via8233 snd-pcm-oss
>
> What do I need to change or add to get all of my sound devices
> especially my mp3 players and midi?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Marcia

Marcia,

Are you using XMMS for mp3's?  If so, the following should (might) work
with your config:

- set XMMS to use the aRts driver for output (right click on XMMS >
options > preferences > choose the output plugin)

- ensure that the aRts server is starting on KDE startup (Configuration
> KDE > Sound > Sound server from your KDE menu)

That should be all that's required, but then YMMV seems to be MOST true
when anything to do with sound is attempted with linux.

HTH
Brian