Marcia writes:

>Dear All,

>Well, now that I reinstalled LM9 with my HP printer as parallel, that
>works. I have the via chipset ac97 onboard sound and the sound is great

I wonder why the mp3 players (have you tried mpg123, for a "common
denominator" player) would not do sound while the cd players would. I haven't
tried the cd players in Mandrake 9, but I have tried a few of its MP3 players.
Xmms works fine, but noatun does not run, and kaboodle just sits there. In
fact, the konqueror embedded play mode just sits there, doesn't get past 0:0
on the time display. This worked in 8.1 even with the upgraded KDE.

I don't have AC97 (well I probably do, but it's disabled on the motherboard)
and I use Soundblaster Live (emu10k1). One headscratcher this weekend - I had
to make sure to enable sound in Mandrake Control Center. It's not something
that is obvious, and you have to click on Settings under the Soujnd module,
and somewhere in there is a list of values to fill in. Enable should be set
to 1.