If you want to speed up your system you could mount your extra HD as a
software RAID drive.

RAID0  will stripe data between two hard drives, so some blocks are read from
one drive, and some from the other effectively halving the seek time.

 Software RAID is real easy to set up using diskdrake. You just need two hard
drives (on different IDE controllers)
The drives do not have to be the same size or same make (unlike hardware RAID
on Wintel MBs) You just identify partitions on each drive as RAID partitions
in diskdrake and then mount them as a single partition. The partitions do not
even need to be the same size. Other partitions on the drives may be
configured as non RAID

The downside of software RAID is

If your system is already installed it is complicated moving partitions about
to create the RAID partitions.

The seek time will be limited by the seek time of the slowest drive. So if
your 10GB drive is an old piece of rubbish it is counterproductive.

If either drive has a data corruption it will trash the data on the other as
well (unless you use RAID3? (mirror+stripe) which uses twice the disc space)

Just an idea

derek