On Tuesday 15 October 2002 12:12, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 Oct 2002 7:54 pm, you wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 Oct 2002 4:20 am, Joe Harkins wrote:
> > > As a newbie who is impresssed with and wants to learn Linux Mandrake
> > > but remains totally at sea due to more than 20 years of DOS and
> > > Windows, I would find it a great help if I could find classes or
> > > seminars or whatever that would get me sufficiently grounded to start
> > > real learning.
> > >
> > > Right now, after weeks of installing Linux Mandrake 8, I am still
> > > dealing with the facts that I cannot install my printer, the sound
> > > system works for the CD player but for nothing else, I can't install
> > > downloaded programs, have not a single clue as to what all these file
> > > names and acronyms mean (and since I can't print I have no way of
> > > making reference docs and like many people I am screen-dyslexic but can
> > > do fine with hard docs) and so on - all of which stand in the way of
> > > actually learning and enjoying the system.
> > >
> > > As I said, if there is a tutoring venue in the NY/NJ area that would
> > > ground me in the basics, I'd sure appreciate knowing about it.
> > >
> > > TIA

I to find myself in the same mess. I installed Linux as i was so tired of the
"MS" game... although i can get on net.. I cant seem to install LICQ
and have no correct way to do it. Im in a remote little town with no other
linux users about..
Got printer working, got a new hayes modem running, but so need LICQ
I download  and from there its a mess....online docs for installing downloaded
programs is nill as well as the books I got with the install are confusing.
I come from the days of the Vic 20 and having to type in all programs from say
RUN or Compute magazine.... and after that a MS  USER.... Ive been so ruined
by just being a MS operator.
Classes in this area??? none....  books in stores on linux??? nill
I to have no clue haow to get downloaded programs to work...
Bout all I got is a email running and a browser......
oh well.... may have to do another MS OS install if it gets worse and geeez
all I wanted was LICQ to keep track of my family members.......
Mike
in a rural farm town....where linux is unknown