On Tuesday 15 Oct 2002 3:39 pm, Travis Crook wrote:
> > If you want to speed up your system you could mount your extra HD as a
> > software RAID drive.
> >
> > RAID0  will stripe data between two hard drives, so some blocks are read
>
> from
>
> > one drive, and some from the other effectively halving the seek time.
> >
> >  Software RAID is real easy to set up using diskdrake. You just need two
>
> hard
>
> > drives (on different IDE controllers)
> > The drives do not have to be the same size or same make (unlike hardware
>
> RAID
>
> > on Wintel MBs) You just identify partitions on each drive as RAID
>
> partitions
>
> > in diskdrake and then mount them as a single partition. The partitions do
>
> not
>
> > even need to be the same size. Other partitions on the drives may be
> > configured as non RAID
> >
> > The downside of software RAID is
> >
> > If your system is already installed it is complicated moving partitions
>
> about
>
> > to create the RAID partitions.
> >
> > The seek time will be limited by the seek time of the slowest drive. So
> > if your 10GB drive is an old piece of rubbish it is counterproductive.
> >
> > If either drive has a data corruption it will trash the data on the other
>
> as
>
> > well (unless you use RAID3? (mirror+stripe) which uses twice the disc
>
> space)
>
> > Just an idea
> >

> > derek
>
> I have always wanted to play around with a RAID on a workstation.
> I didn't realize Linux could do it with different sized drives.  I think
> I know what I'll do with that extra drive!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Travis Crook
> Visions Beyond

There was a thread on this about a year ago. I think Civileme and Sridhar were
discussing it. A search in the archives might be useful.
Also most HOWTOs you find might make it look more complicated than it is. I do
believe diskdrake will do the whole thing for you nowdays.

If it works out OK for you, I might take my own advice and put that old hard
drive to use :-)

derek