hi, I have a ten GB partition devoted to miscellaneous things. I use it for:

1) saving downloaded rpm's and tarballs
2) a place to rip dvd's and music
3) a place to download music to
4) backing up my computer whenever I need to

The only reason it would make it faster is if the games and mp3's on you
system drive were fragmented in with the rest of your files. Linux does not
do this so you will not notice much of a difference in access speed.

John Drouhard