On Tuesday 15 Oct 2002 12:25 pm, Roman Korcek wrote:
> Hey Derek,
>
> >> I have a very similar question - in 9.0 I can't run shutdown as a
> >> regular user anymore - says command not found. So I guessed it's in
> >> /sbin which isn't in a regular user's path so I typed /sbin/shutdown
> >> -r now but bash said only root can do that. Shutdown has r-x
> >> permission for all, so, I wonder, what setting/file do I need to
> >> change in order to be able to run shutdown as a regular user?
> >
> > Shutdown is under the control of PAM  (Permissions access module?)
> >
> > If you look at /usr/bin/shutdown you will see it is in fact a symlink to
> > an application called 'consolehelper'
> >
> > Consolehelper is a wrapper which looks at the name of the symlink it was
> > called from (in this case shutdown) and looks it up in /etc/pam.d
> > If it finds a file in there with the same name as the symlink it applies
> > the authentication tests it finds there. If authentication passes
> > consolehelper will pass control over to the requested application. (
> > /sbin/shutdown)
> >
> > /etc/pam.d/shutdown contains :-
> >
> > #%PAM-1.0
> > auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_rootok.so
> > auth       required     /lib/security/pam_console.so
> > #auth       required    /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> > account    required     /lib/security/pam_permit.so
> >
> > In your case I think it is the last line which is stopping you running
> > shutdown. Probably because of your security level.  If you ask for high
> > security, then that is what you get :)
>
> Thank you for the answer, but I set the lowest security level at
> install (I think it was "Medium").
>
> So what do I neeed to do? Commment out the last line?

No I do not think that would help. You have to 'pass' a test to get access to
the command. If you have medium security I do not understand why your system
should behave differently to mine (also medium)  My ordinary users can use
shutdown without a problem.

Have you ever had high security?, or did you upgrade instead of install?

It might be worth taking a look at /etc/security/console.apps  I have a zero
byte file in there called shutdown.  It may be that at higher security levels
that file does something.

You could also try editing /etc/pam.d/shutdown like this :-
#%PAM-1.0
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_rootok.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_console.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
#account    required    /lib/security/pam_permit.so

I think you will then be prompted for a password before shutdown

derek