Okay, it seems I need to answer my own question:

I'm still a newbie at Linux, and so I had no idea *why* I couldn't get those
halt/reboot/logout options to appear.
Well, after playing around, just looking and looking all over in the menus, I ran
across the Login Manager.  Its
kinda hidden in Dolphin's menus.  In any case, in the Login Manager, I went to the
"Sessions" tab.  The very first
setting is called "Allow Shutdown" and you have a subsetting for the Console and
Remote.  The setting for Console
said "Nobody"; I simply changed it to "Everybody".  I logged out and logged back in,
and then tried to log out
again.  To my delight, I now had the options to halt/reboot/logout.  Success!

Now I could be wrong about this; I could have changed a different setting somewhere
else, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT
IT.  (In other words, I don't know why this setting change accomplished what I was
after).  The point is that it
worked and I'm finished.  Ugh!

-Lawrence Winstead