Hey,

> Okay, it seems I need to answer my own question:

> I'm still a newbie at Linux, and so I had no idea *why* I couldn't
> get those halt/reboot/logout options to appear. Well, after playing
> around, just looking and looking all over in the menus, I ran across
> the Login Manager.  Its  kinda hidden in Dolphin's menus.  In any
> case, in the Login Manager, I went to the "Sessions" tab.  The very
> first  setting is called "Allow Shutdown" and you have a subsetting
> for the Console and Remote.  The setting for Console  said "Nobody";
> I simply changed it to "Everybody".  I logged out and logged back
> in, and then tried to log out  again.  To my delight, I now had the
> options to halt/reboot/logout.  Success!

I remember this setting in 8.2 in KDE, too, however as I currently
don't want to install X I'd be glad if someone could tell me what to
do from command line.
I'll try Derek's suggestions (thanks) and make a search on my own.

> Have you ever had high security?, or did you upgrade instead of install?

No, I never had high security and I performed a clean install with
reformat.

--
TIA
Roman