On Saturday 26 Oct 2002 9:54 pm, Stefano POGLIANI wrote:
> Derek,
>
>       thank a lot for the great hint (and explanation)!
> A small question: isn't it possible to:
>
>       1.      start vncserver AT BOOT TIME ?
>       2.      start vncserver "without a specific user" ? [i.e. having it to display
>               the Linux Login screen ]
>
> Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards
> /stefano

Well I do not run it that way myself, but if you look in Mandrake Control
Centre>System>Services you will see that vncserver can be started from Boot.

That means there will be an entry in /etc/rc5.d for vncserver which is where
services are controlled during boot and shut down. We see there a file called
K35vncserver. Look inside it and you see vncserver is stated with a
configuration file called /etc/sysconfig/vncservers.

Look at that file and you see an example startup command.
However if I try to start vncserver as root,no matter what I put into the
startup script /root/.vnc/xstartup the log says that permission is denied,
and I just get an X session with a blank screen.

An alternative might be to not use vnc, but to make an ssh session. You can
log into ssh as whichever user you please (ssh username@hostname) You can
then startup graphical applications and the windows will be automatically
forwarded to your screen.

(Note that starting vncserver as root is a security risk. If you are using 9.0
the vncserver is TightVNC which allows you to only allow access to users who
have your public ssh key. You should read up on the TightVNC site, and the
ssh site to understand how to make access secure. (I do not use that myself
as I do not allow vnc past my firewall).
SSH can also be configured to only allow access to key holders. By default
access is allowed to anyone who knows the password)

derek