Not wanting to seem like I'm talking down to you but I might think you
wouldn't want to be using a hex editor yet if you have to ask what it
is.

That said, it is a tool, much like a regular text editor, EXCEPT, it
lets you play with the individual bytes as hexadecimal values and
arbitrarily change them to any value you wish.  As you can see, doing
this to a simple text file might not be so bad, doing it to an
executable or a specially encoded file could be deadly.

It's located off one of the utilities menus in your desktop.  Take a
peak at a file with it if you wish.  Play with it if you're brave, but
don't say you weren't forwarned.

Ken Wilson
First Law of Optimization: The speed of a nonworking program is
irrelevant
(Steve Heller, 'Efficient C/C++ Programming')