Paul Rodriguez wrote:
Hi, I purchased an ATI Radeon 8500 for my dad's machine thinking it
would have good 3D acceleration support, being that it wasn't the latest
9000 and that it's on the Mandrake supported hardware list. Plus, I
like to use open source drivers. As it turns out, the 8500 does not
seem to have any 3D Acceleration support in Mandrake 9.0 according to
those who I have talked to, and won't for some time. The ATI supplied
drivers are also incompatible with 9.0.

As I just got my RMA approved, I need to find a substitute.
1) What other options do I have? Should I go with another ATI, or
something else? I hear Nvidia's are good.
nVidia works well with their drivers if you do the install right (see previous threads).

2) Who makes a good Nvidia card?
I don't think there's a massive difference. Check the chipset, and that it has all the IO ports you want.

3) Should I go with a Geforce3 or a Geforce4?

I have a Hercules Geforce3 at home, and I am not happy with it. I hear
that people are very happy with Geforce3's from other manufacturers.
IMHO, the Geforce3 falls between two stools. If your father is into 3D rendering or is a first-person shooter addict with the reflexes of a rattlesnake, go for a 4, but for most practical purposes, a Geforce2 with 64MB onboard memory is fine (most models only have 32MB, which is OK, but 64MB gives better performance for a very small price difference, I think).

Sir Robin

--
"A free man ought not to learn anything under duress.
Compulsory physical exercise does no harm to the body,

Robin Turner
IDMYO,
Bilkent University
Ankara 06533