On Tuesday 29 October 2002 04:57 pm, Robin Turner wrote:
> Paul Rodriguez wrote:
> > Hi, I purchased an ATI Radeon 8500 for my dad's machine thinking it
> > would have good 3D acceleration support, being that it wasn't the latest
> > 9000 and that it's on the Mandrake supported hardware list.  Plus, I
> > like to use open source drivers.  As it turns out, the 8500 does not
> > seem to have any 3D Acceleration support in Mandrake 9.0 according to
> > those who I have talked to, and won't for some time.  The ATI supplied
> > drivers are also incompatible with 9.0.
> >
> > As I just got my RMA approved, I need to find a substitute.
> >
> > 1) What other options do I have?  Should I go with another ATI, or
> > something else?  I hear Nvidia's are good.
>
> nVidia works well with their drivers if you do the install right (see
>
> > 2) Who makes a good Nvidia card?
>
> I don't think there's a massive difference.  Check the chipset, and that
> it has all the IO ports you want.
>
> > 3) Should I go with a Geforce3 or a Geforce4?
> >
> > I have a Hercules Geforce3 at home, and I am not happy with it.  I hear
> > that people are very happy with Geforce3's from other manufacturers.
>
> IMHO, the Geforce3 falls between two stools.  If your father is into 3D
> rendering or is a first-person shooter addict with the reflexes of a
> rattlesnake, go for a 4, but for most practical purposes, a Geforce2
> with 64MB onboard memory is fine (most models only have 32MB, which is
> OK, but 64MB gives better performance for a very small price difference,
> I think).
>
> Sir Robin
I agree with Sir Robin, unless you are a bleeding edge gamer a Geforce 2 with
64MB onboard will run like a champ, tuxracer and ut2003 both work very well
on my machine. Those are the only games I have tried that need fast frames so
I can't speak to other games.  Mine is an MSI Graphic card.  HTH
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842