On Sunday 03 November 2002 06:59 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 03 Nov 2002 1:39 pm, you wrote:
> > ahhhh Charlie, you are ever the optomist.....
> >
> > it is my bet that the only thing not to change is entropy.
> >

> > ET
>
> You're such a ray of sunshine :-)
>
> Anne

Anne;
He is that, isn't he? <g>

Miark and ET;
Pessimists may be correct more often but we optimists usually have more fun.
:-)

All;

It's painfully obvious that the only thing that can be expected from this
revolting situation is that Microsoft will continue to scratch the backs of
their pet elected officials; and that those worthies will in turn join with
the spin doctors in trying to make it seem there has been "useful progress"
made in forcing MS to simulate the behavior of a good corporate citizen.
Shortly thereafter MS will find a way to leverage their "right to innovation"
(read marketing and creative lawyering) to squeeze more money out of the poor
abused consumer for inferior software and technology. Smoke and mirrors
deployed, shut up and pay. You know, Microsoft's standard way of doing
business?

I've always been aware of that. However; I'm also aware that those of us that
are called "advocates for Open Source" still have a chance to win many of the
small battles for the mind space that is the consumer market, and that any
'revolution' has to begin somewhere.

Cost this week of being an "Optimist" has been twelve formerly blank CD-Rs,
and a few hours of time. The reward to the "revolution" is the four new
acquaintances we all have that we didn't last week. They may eventually be
friends. :-)

One tiny battle at a time people. It's easy to forget that whatever the
decisions in the antitrust trial, people are still disgusted that the system
is so rigged that entities such as Microsoft, and the directors of such
entities, get treated differently than you or I or any private individual not
a 'celebrity' would. When that disgust becomes advocacy for something else;
and the corporation in question is "punished by the consumer" by losing even
a portion of what they regard as their market, I consider it to be a good
day. :-)

Or a good week since I'll be hoping to make 3 new friends next week with three
more "assisted installs." I don't mind spending the time and disks at all.

Later;
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada