On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 17:06, Charlie wrote:
> Lyvim;
>
> Any occasion for a spanking (even verbally) of a drone from Microsoft is funny
> IMHO. :-)
>
> On a 'related note':
>
> The anti-trust trial drones on apparently. Judge CKK's full detailed decision
> will be announced 'after markets close today' but it seems whatever she's
> going to say was leaked anyway. If not why have M$ share prices been rising
> all day? <sigh>

Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly has perpetrated one of the greatest
travesties of justice in history.

Associated Press sent this piece out to almost everybody:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,5408601%255E462,00.html

The most disgusting part of that article:

"The decision eliminates the establishment of a technical committee to
assess Microsoft's compliance with the agreement. In its place, a
corporate compliance committee consisting of Microsoft board members
will make sure Microsoft lives up to the deal, the judge said."

So in addition to the fact that there will be no real penalties, and
that the dissenting states' voices essentially will not be effective
after all, what few "penalties" that actually exist will only be policed
by M$ itself!  These are the consequences of anti-competitive
monopolistic business practices?? It is totally absurd!  And a travesty
of justice on the entire world.

A total of NINE judges have agreed that M$ is a threat to the public
interest, and this (Clintonian) judge CKK finally caved and told
Microshaft what it wanted to hear. (And I haven't even brought up the
nine states' objections.)

From 1997 to 2000 this DOJ case was carried out under a Democratic
administration; a total of three years under Clinton. More than enough
time to resolve this case; no judicial decision should take more than
two years.  For that matter, no judicial decision should take more than
one year; especially one of this importance.

Note that the two judges that ruled against Microsoft, Stanley Sporkin
in 1995 and Penfield Jackson five years later, were both Ronald Reagan
appointees. Note also that Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly was a Clinton
appointee to the bench.  You can draw your own conclusions.

> The talking heads on CNN have also said so in the past ten minutes. She
> "approved most of the agreement between DOJ and MS" is what I heard.
>
> Even the "unsettling states proposed remedies" didn't go far enough in my
> view. Whatever lapdogs Microsoft has bought (read politicians) should grab
> all they're able while they can; since from watching, and listening, it seems
> the world isn't going to put up with this crap much longer regardless what
> the 'powers that be' decide not to do.

You are certainly on the right track.  It is the people themselves who
are going to have to act, since Judge CKK has demonstrated she doesn't
give a flying crap about the public at large.  Which means that more
Linux geeks MUST become politically aware and active.  Before it's too
late!!

Otherwise, Microslop and it's democratic lapdogs will legislate Linux
and the GPL out of existence.  They've demonstrated that they have the
power, and recently they've shown their intentions to do just that with
their actions.  FOR EXAMPLE, read the following:

http://wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,55989,00.html

A piece from that article:

"Earlier this week, three members of the House of Representatives, Adam
Smith (D- Wash.), Ron Kind (D-Wis.) and Jim Davis (D-Fla.), sent a note
to 74 Democrats in Congress attacking Linux's GNU General Public License
(GPL) as a threat to America's "innovation and security."

The Democrats also originated the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act)
and the (CBDTA) Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act,
and have allied with the entertainment industry and RIAA to eliminate
peer to peer networks such as Napster.  Those are the facts; again, you
can draw your own conclusions.  US peeps should keep those conclusions
in mind when they vote this month.

Informed voting at this point is imperitive to the future of Linux.

> Charlie
> Edmonton,AB,Canada
> Registered user 244963 at http://counter.li.org
> Yow!  Are you the self-frying president?

Best Regards

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2