Interesting note, Anne. Thanks.

Two comments, both I suppose related to Linux Format magazine..

First, of the linux serial publications (although there are a number of
'Linux for Dummies' type books around), Linux Format is pretty
accessible to the new user.

Second, this month's issue (November) has a review of a new distro,
Homebase, which fits nearly exactly your ideal system. It's a linux
distro for newbies, apparently installs seamlessly, and uses a
consistent browser interface (Mozilla-based). It's a free download
(www.oeone.com). You can also, for $19.95 US/yr, have a subscription
service that allows you to backup your files on their servers, store
configuration files, and more generally synchronize your machine with
your space on the server. You can also access your 'desktop' from
anywhere simply by logging in to your server Homebase.

Check out the review.

I have three boxes at home, all dual boots with Windows and various
flavors of linux (Mandrake, RedHat, Gentoo). One box is for the kids who
basically spend some time playing games on the internet or doing
research for school. They care not a whit about operating systems but
just want to sit down and browse around. I believe Homebase will be
ideal for them and will try it shortly (soon as I get my firewall box
setup properly!).

Terry Smith
Cape Cod USA