On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 03:57, Christian Goldstein wrote:
> Hiya!
>
> I've been using KDE for the past few days and now I feel like I could switch
> to some other Windowmanager ( I was told KDE isnt the best choice when it
> comes to speed and reliability ), or at least *try* to do so. I remember
> using WindowMaker a few months ago, but I didn't like it that much. I mean,
> it *was* fast and reliable, but I had some problems with the interface and
> unless someone here can recommend a good place to get a tutorial or some
> additional information, I would think twice before going back at it.
>
> Okay, to make a long story short: if anyone could either recommend me a good
> windowmanager or give me a hint on where I can find some background
> information on them (WindowMaker in particular), I'd be thankful.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>                          - Christian

I was "advised" that you can try running Xtart (either from the GUI or
from text mode) - it's a utility script that allows you to choose
between desktop/window manager of your choice. Otherwise, you can
manually edit the .xsession file in your home directory. On the last
line you will see:
exec /usr/bin/startkde
which you can change to say,
exec /usr/bin/X11/englightenment
exec /usr/bin/X11/wmaker
exec /usr/bin/gnome-session
...or whatever you desire...

If you don't have Xtart already loaded, you can snag it from the CD#1
through the Mandrake Software package installer.

--
Wed Nov  6 09:25:00 EST 2002

--------------------------------
|            __    __          |
|           /  \ /| |'-.       |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |kuhn media australia
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |http://kma.0catch.com
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |stephen kuhn
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     |mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     |
--------------------------------

Cecil, you're my final hope
Of finding out the true Straight Dope
For I have been reading of Schrodinger's cat
But none of my cats are at all like that.
This unusual animal (so it is said)
Is simultaneously alive and dead!
What I don't understand is just why he
Can't be one or the other, unquestionably.
My future now hangs in between eigenstates.
In one I'm enlightened, in the other I ain't.
If *you* understand, Cecil, then show me the way
And rescue my psyche from quantum decay.
But if this queer thing has perplexed even you,
Then I will *___and* I won't see you in Schrodinger's zoo.
                -- Randy F., Chicago, "The Straight Dope, a compendium
                   of human knowledge" by Cecil Adams