On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 19:30, Todd Franklin wrote:
> Here's a number 18,000,000.  That's only the machines registered on The
> Linux Counter.
> http://counter.li.org/
> Here's how we can make a difference.  Marketing people don't ignore
> numbers that big.  And if all of us have all our machines registered on
> The Linux Counter.  We can make that number bigger.
>
> Todd

Those number are impressive, but alas, the ONE thing that REALLY makes a
difference is SALES. Companies like RedHat, Slackware, Suse and Mandrake
need to continuously STAND TALL in the field and show how many SALES
they've made. Remember the "BeOS Lesson" - marketing.

Lindows is making some waves, but overall, the reality is that everyone
should do what we did with Windows 3.11 and Windows 95 - give a copy to
someone or install it on someone's machine. Really. That's part of the
marketing ploy. Spreading it out.

Why do you think AOL beat CompuServe in the late-90's? Marketing. They
literally sent every yank a CD in the mail. No joke. I was there. That's
how CompuServe died (and several other really cool services that aren't
even but a ghost of what they once were).

Spreading it out amongst everyone. I like to market PC's with FREE
software - REALL FREE software, not OEM packages. But, in the long run,
what games can I offer on a new workstation other than what comes
bundled already with either RedHat or Mandrake? That's another
catch-all. Now, if there were STABLE releases of games for the linux
engine, well, that in itself would grab more people.

It's not enough to really just give someone StarOffice or OpenOffice or
KOffice or AbiWord and the rest of the Gnome suite - or to give them
LICQ instead of ICQ - the public's been "branded" already - so it's more
a matter of showing the public that there is more to offer - and gather
more software to this platform.

Overall, that's what's going to get manufacturers on the ball. HP/Compaq
are trying it with the server market - IBM is definitely making waves
with linux. Overall, in a network environment, *NIX machines have been
doing it longer and better than anything that's in the public hands
right now.

(I'll get off my soapbox now - I think it's time for tea)

Stephen
--
Wed Nov 13 18:45:00 EST 2002

--------------------------------
|            __    __          |
|           /  \ /| |'-.       |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |kuhn media australia
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |http://kma.0catch.com
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |stephen kuhn
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     |mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     |linux user:267497

interest, n.:
        What borrowers pay, lenders receive, stockholders own, and
        burned out employees must feign.