On Tuesday 12 Nov 2002 4:28 pm, you wrote:

> The problem is when people switch from Windows to Linux (or MacOS, or any
> other OS) and bring with them all sorts of hardware which has "assumed
> Windows" but hadn't made that assumption clear. Then they try to use the
> hardware outside Windows and it doesn't work ...

Indeed  - my first attempt at switching to Linux failed because I had just
bought a DeskJet 720 and couldn't afford to ditch it.  It seems that this was
practically the only win-only printer the HP made, and it scuppered me.

This time, once I had made the decision, I checked compatibility before I
bought.

Anne