Have to agree on the printer choices.  I bought into an article i read about 3 years ago on the Lexmark 3200 being a great value for a "high quality" ink jet printer.  So they were on sale at best buy and I bought 2 of them.  One for us and one for my roommate's daughter.  They are total pieces of crap.
Main issues:
-Photo quality resolution sucks (puts horizontal lines through the image--even when properly calibrated).
-Ink-- Cartridges are expensive (as Alistair already stated) and long-term, if you don't use the ink, it will dry up.  I have a laser printer so I only use a color printer for photos.  I found that in as little as a couple of months time, the ink will dry up and the cartridges are useless.

Earlier this year, we bought an HP Photosmart printer and it's fabulous.  The photo quality is excellent, and the ink cartridges/pots last a long time and don't dry up on you-- they are expensive, but I haven't had to replace one yet.
So as far as printers go, DON'T GET A LEXMARK!  You might spend a little more on an HP, but the overall cost over time will be cheaper.  My lexmark printers are collecting dust right now.  I won't even sell them because I don't want to have to support them to whomever I sell them to.

Todd

Alastair Scott wrote:
Aaron wrote:

my 2 cents
the pro audio field is a good example of a group of people making
drivers (ALSA) and apps that are beginning to make waves. I ended up
giving my pro audio card away because the manufacturer wouldn't even
help others make drivers. And this is something that only adds sales for
their boards.
The bottom line seems to be that we need to look before we leap and
check that linux drivers exist before buying, sigh.
I heard a rumor that some pro audio companies have prototypes of linux
versions of their software ready for roll out if their competition
releases a verion.

As someone whose Lexmark printer has just run out of ink (and it's only
about £30 more to get a decent new printer than replace the cartridges) I've
been thinking about this.

Realistically, the choice for a cheap inkjet running under Linux is between
HP and Epson; Canon drivers are poor and Lexmark terrible or nonexistent.

If Linux has 5 per cent of market share in OSs, I'd say that each of those
manufacturers has less than 1 per cent Linux customers.

Evidently HP (in particular) thinks that providing workable drivers for that
fraction of users is worthwhile, but Lexmark (in particular) doesn't. I
don't know, and will probably never know, the corporate motivations for
these stances, but that they are so different is interesting.

Alastair