Regarding the BIOS settings, I think so- as far as I'm aware, at least
initially, the BIOS was untouched on both. As of yesterday, though, the BIOS
on the first machine has been upgraded to version 1004 of the firmware, with
no noticable change.

I'll try an absolute minimum install, and see where I get with that- thanks
for your help!