I am not sold on any one particular drive being a problem for Linux, which
is why I was interested in hearing from Ricardo, however...

The one drive manufacturer I use to have the most trouble with, in any O/S,
was Conner. The way they set them up was to provide the O/S with set of
parameters that were a translation from the actual paramters of the drive.
In the 'stupid' days of opeating systems, this was fine and actually needed
to help them get over the 1024 cylinders hump. Once the O/S became
inquisitive and smarter, I found that the Conner drives caused confusion in
the O/S and some utilities that were able to dig that deep.

A number of years ago, Seagate swallowed up the failing Conner company, and
unfortunately, decided to continue production of Conner technology under the
Seagate name. If you look at the specs on some of the drive since the buy
out, you will see the Conner technology has encroached in the specs of many
of their drives since.

Since this time, I have felt that Seagate doesn't give me the warm fuzzies
anymore. I would prefer to go after a WD drive, even though I know that
every drive manufacturer has had its share of 'problems' with production, QC
and drive designs, and WD has had its share. Drives are more reliable now
than ever, but are still prone to failure. Even on a new drive in Linux, I
always take extra time to check for bad blocks when time permits.

As for Quantum Big Foots....I am not interested in 'going there', here. ;-)

Anyway, that was my interest in this. In retrospect, I should have put 'OT'
on my reply to Ricardo. :-)

As for the hdparms setting you suggested, I am not ashamed to admit that
without checking the man pages, I haven't a clue as to what they mean or why
you have imposed them over the deafult settings. I am still very new to the
very hands-on control of Linux with hardware, not having had to do this
since the days of MS/PC-DOS. It's really exciting to have so much control,
but also aggrevating to someone use to getting what he needs done
immediately because of time and experience with an O/S. I don't have that in
Linux as yet. That's why I love being here. :-)

Would you mind telling my why you feel it beneficial to over-ride the
defaults?

TIA

T :-)