-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:newbie-owner@;linux-mandrake.com]On Behalf Of Stephen Kuhn

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 20:06, Franki wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> This month, I have emailed 3 different hardware manufacturers asking if
they
> had linux drivers for their product (I pick one product from their site
and
> email them about it.)
>
> generally the answer in most cases is no.. but thats not the point, if we
> all send 2 or 3 of these emails a month,, how long would it be before they
> start considing their lost market??
>
> what do you guys think of this idea???
>

> Its a thought... and I think an important one..... nothing is going to
> happen fast unless we start doing this sort of thing.
>

> rgds
>
> Frank

Just keep in mind that those emails aren't going to even make it NEAR a
top-level executive - they're handled by support staff - and upper
management rarely, if ever, listens to support staff. Chances are that
you're only going to piss off some under-paid, under-trained monkey that
handles only email.

Just stating the reality.

Now, on the other hand, if you can obtain lists of top-level executives
in said company structures, that would be a different story. (Or, if you
want to get elaborate, hack their mail server and spam the hell out of
the entire staff - but I shan't go there - I've promised to be a nice
fella for a while).

Stephen

I beg to differ on that one..

I have worked for two of those "win only" companies..

in tech and sales.. and the management would find out if we got strange
requests...

if they get 50 linux driver requests a month.. the tech is gonna mention it
to his superviser, who will mention it to his....
the some snooping boss will wander down and ask whats going on...

It does happen... I worked for CEA (UMAX) and OCEAN
(http://www.octek.com.hk/)
and I was surprised at how much management did listen if they thought that
there was an issue or money to be made....

Ocean has well over 5000 employees and has offices all over the world.. they
are not a small company.
and yet me as a lacky sales and tech guy in Au had several meetings with the
manageing director when he was over.

it really is surprising....

one email will do nothing, ten emails will do little, fifty emails and the
tech guy will ask someone what to do about it.. then the ball starts
rolling..

rgds

Franki