Thanks, Anthony!

I couldn't remember what I needed to do. After spending three days trying to
get some older video hardware to work with RH 8, I was getting so peeved!

This was my first attempt at uisng Grub outside of a normal boot-up. Someone
here once said that GRub was a nice boot manager, but not very intuitive.
Yep. I will agree to that statement. I had to do a search on the Web to get
the instructions. It really isn't that obvious to me. LILO is so much easier
to use. Once I was able to boot into Level 1 mode, it was a an easy task to
use 'passwd' to change my mistake.

Now, here's one for you....

If booting into Level 1 is this 'easy', I would think that you would want to
eliminate this possibility in a network environment (for Grub or LILO) to
keep intruders from bypassing the need for a password and getting root
access. Would you password Grub or LILO?

Thanks again for the help. Saved me a few more hours of aggrevation.

BTW, Red Hat 8.0 may be a big improvement over 7.x, but it sucks with older
video cards! It comes with XFree86 4.2.0-17, and every Diamond and Tident
card in my place won't work right with it. I even struggled to get my ATi 3D
Rage Pro to work!

Outside of that?

Not bad...but, it ain't Mandrake!