I used MCC to set up the modem, since I occasionally need to send a fax.  In
fact I don't want it connected most of the time - just the ability to get it
working quickly when I do need it.

At the end of the process I was told that both the lan connection and the
modem connection were configured, and asked which one I wanted to use.
Naturally I chose the lan connection (my adsl) as default, but now I can't
see how I can get to the modem connection.

I need an icon somewhere linked so that I can use dial-up when I need it.
Under 8.2 there was a desktop icon automatically.  How can I set up a similar
easy access?

Anne