-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Peter Spotts
Sent: Wednesday, 20 November 2002 7:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] PPPoE and Modem in tandem

Anne,

I share your pain. I was running MDK8.1 with ASDL as my default on a
Compaq laptop. But I take my show on the road quite a bit and needed to
use the dialer. Problem was, while the dialer would connect, the
browser, email program or whatever wouldn't see the connection. I later
ran into the same problem with Windows 98 and found that I had to shut
down my ADSL software before I could get a dailup connection that the
computer would recognize.

So if I may rephrase your question: How can one deactivate pppoe once
it's started so that ppp can have a clear shot at the connection in a
way the software will recognize?

Right now, because of my inability to figure that one out, I'm using
WinXP on one partition and Linux on another on a new laptop...

Best regards,

Pete

                       Peter N. Spotts
Science and technology correspondent | The Christian Science Monitor
           One Norway Street, Boston, MA  USA  02115
    Office: 1-617-450-2449 | Office-in-home: 1-508-520-3139
        Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.csmonitor.com