On November 22, 2002 04:14 am, Poogle wrote:
> > >About 2 weeks ago my employer moved from a package which was about 90%
> > >keyboard based to a new package which requires almost complete mouse
> > > useage. As I am now pointing & clicking  for 8 hours a day my mouse
> > > side shoulder is getting quite sore.
> > >Now to the question, I have seen thigh mounted mouse pads advertised and
> > >wondered if any of you have any experience of them, if so do they help
> > > ease the problems caused by repetitive mouse useage ?
> > >Another possibility is alternating between right/left hand useage, again
> > > do any of you do this or does the action which is alien to the "wrong"
> > > hand create the same problem on that side?

I started using a Logitech Marble Mouse about 4 years ago for similar reasons.
The repetitive strain concern is gone; and being a marble mouse helps since
the marble is centered instead of off to the side as with the track-balls.
Picture a mouse flipped over with the roller on top. With proper positioning
of the desk-pad (and you) the only thing moving usually is your fingers.

I've always had a hard time with track-balls because most are built in a right
handed orientation. Left hand models used to be available as special order
items; read expensive. The only shortcoming of the marble mouse is a lack of
a third button/scroll wheel but I can live with that. I use the keyboard more
than the mouse anyway. It's also considerably less expensive than a
track-ball.

> Thanks to all who replied, you've given me some ideas to put to the
> management. At the moment I am stuck with the basic setup that I am given
> as I work in a 24/7 control room and never sit at the same workstation for
> 2 days running, this means that I can't customise my position other than
> correctly position myself and my equipment (not easy to arrange
> monitor,kb,mouse,radio,mini-switchboard,notepad and of course coffee
> coaster) because when I leave at the end of the shift someone else takes my
> place. This means that anything requiring driver installation or
> reconfiguration of the mouse, no matter how simple, is out of the question
> (I am in a user rather than a tech environment and some people find such
> things as swapping a broken keyboard frightening)
> I like the cordless option but I need to convince the management that
> everyone needs it.
> Temporary term solution - I'm taking in a mouse that fits my hand and is
> ambidextrous so that I can swap hands (right handed ms mouse supplied as
> standard - how short sighted can you get ?) .

Very shortsighted, but maybe not in this case. The majority of the populace is
other than dexter. Employers (and manufacturers) play the percentages.

I'm ambidextrous, but still find it easier to use my left hand for anything
that requires fine movements or control. The Logitech (and probably the MS
version as well) marble uses 'generic' mouse drivers so there's no driver
issues in Mandrake. More options under "Winders" with the available drivers,
but nothing that's really necessary.

Regards;
--
Charlie