On Thursday 21 Nov 2002 12:19 pm, Technoslick wrote:
> Poogle.
>

> 3) I have also noted that unless the mouse is really low in relation to
> your body, those ergo pads for the wrist end up putting more strain on my
> shoulder. No matter how soft and spongee the pad is, it eventually ends up
> making my wrist sore from the pressure of my whole arm on the one point. I
> end up using the shoulder to gold the arm up a bit, defeating the purpose
> of ergonomics, in general. If your arm lays flat across your work desk, so
> that the wrist is flat against the desk, I find that much more comforting
> than resting against a pad that elevates my wrist above the desk.

My 2p worth -

Most pointing devices encourage you to have your wrist bent upwards - and the
same goes for the so-called wrist supports.  As a pianist I was always told
that the wrist should be straight as far as possible.  When I trained as a
typist (on mechanical machines that no-one would consider using now - v.
heavy action) the same advice was given.

T is quite right - look long and hard about your seating position - in
particular arm height when using the keyboard, and angle of arm when using
the mouse.  If you can support the arm rather than the hand that will be
better.

It is subjective, though, and no solution will be right for everyone.

Good luck

Anne