On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 16:05, Michael Adams wrote:
> Following the "First -Suspect Me" Thread with interest.
>
> My Case...
> Brand new store bought V9.0 pre-installed computer.
> It has a 52x CD on hdb (fstab was set up for hdd but i corrected that).
> The supplied disks are recorded download edition 9.0 40x recordable.
> The disks have an envelope address size sticker plastered on them.
> The CD will read any package ok after repeated attempts.
>
> Which solutions will help reduce read errors the most.
> 1. Buy another IDE cable and put the CD on hdc.
> 2. Remove the stickers incase they are causing speed wobbles.
> 3. A software method of throttling back the top read speed.
>       (Does this exist and what is it?)
> 4. Other suggestion...?
>
> --
> Michael

Why not try using hdparm to change/modify the buffering on the device?
Make sure it's using DMA and it's using the proper PIO/XFer modes...
(i.e. hdparm -X70 -d1 -p4 /dev/hdb ) ----???

Give that a go before getting purchase-crazy...

PS: I don't think a sticker's going to make that much difference - but
if you want to peel'em off, well, they're YOUR cd's!

--
Mon Nov 25 17:05:01 EST 2002
   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

I didn't get sophisticated -- I just got tired.  But maybe that's what
sophisticated is -- being tired.
                -- Rita Gain