Whoa - We are dealing with a brand new machine put together commercially for
linux. If we can't get this working on the list, then the box goes back to
the store for them to replace the CD-ROM.

Meanwhile i am checking for suggestions. The suggestion about checking if it
will read other disks was valid and proved that it wasn't a balance problem.
Turning DMA on has also been suggested but the recent thread on this resulted
in a "hmm... last resort" scenario, it may cause as much as it cures,
especially with my know-how level. I am prepared to get them to put it on a
separate IDE lead, and if that works i will advise the companies support crew.

Is it not possible to govern CD drives top speeds with jumpers or software?

Personally i believe any company willing to market preinstalled Linux boxes
should be encouraged and coaxed in the right direction. I don't want to slag
them for what doesn't work else they may just fold up this avenue of sales.
Second as they are loading Mandrake i am keen to see it work and work as well
as possible.

--
Michael