hdparm will let you set a slower speed for the cdrom.  See
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/Hdparm.

Unfortunately, hdparm did not seem to be installed "by default" in my
Mandrake 8.2 or 9.0 installations, but I'm assuming it's available
somewhere on the installation CDRoms (or from somewhere else).

If you can improve the cited page in any way, please do!  (After all, it
is a wiki.)

regards,
Randy Kramer