Ron Bouwhuis wrote:

--- Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 16:05, Michael Adams wrote:

Following the "First -Suspect Me" Thread with

interest.

My Case...
Brand new store bought V9.0 pre-installed

computer.

It has a 52x CD on hdb (fstab was set up for hdd

but i corrected that).

The supplied disks are recorded download edition

9.0 40x recordable.

The disks have an envelope address size sticker

plastered on them.

The CD will read any package ok after repeated

attempts.

Which solutions will help reduce read errors the

most.

1. Buy another IDE cable and put the CD on hdc.
2. Remove the stickers incase they are causing

speed wobbles.

3. A software method of throttling back the top

read speed.

(Does this exist and what is it?)
4. Other suggestion...?

--
Michael

Why not try using hdparm to change/modify the
buffering on the device?
Make sure it's using DMA and it's using the proper
PIO/XFer modes...
(i.e. hdparm -X70 -d1 -p4 /dev/hdb ) ----???

Give that a go before getting purchase-crazy...

PS: I don't think a sticker's going to make that
much difference - but
if you want to peel'em off, well, they're YOUR cd's!

Oh, I remember reading somewhere that things like
address stickers are murder on the newer, "high-speed"
CD readers, precisely BECAUSE they throw the CDs
off-balance.
Michael, do you get read errors on CDs that DON'T have
stickers on them?
Ron.

I can vouch for that , remove all labels and anything that may be attatched
to any CD, it's the equivelant of CD read suicide. It's a no no.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]