On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 13:35, Len Lawrence wrote:

> This is what I found:
>       Double-clicks all over the place - I HATE doubleclicking.

Open Nautilus. Go to Edit | Preferences. Under Icon&list views you find
"click behaviour". It affects both Nautilus and the desktop icons.

>       No sloppy-focus aka focus-follows-mouse.

In the menu, go to Gnome control center. Click on Window focus, and
you'll find what you're looking for.

>       User cannot place images on the root window without going
>       through Nautilus/MetaCity.  They get hidden by the window
>       manager's own backgrounds.  Now, for years I have been
>       compiling a collection of scanned calendar images (landscapes)
>       and astronomical vistas which I have been able to use as
>       wallpaper at whim, using my own little menu program.  I resent
>       being forced to jump through hoops to do something simple - it
>       is so Redmond don't you agree.

You can copy your images to ~/.gnome-desktop

>       The font rendering leaves a lot to be desired.  This is the
>       first time fonts have ever been a problem, always crisp and
>       clear in both RedHat and Mandrake.  No doubt one can improve
>       them.

I agree completely on this.

>       Icons all over the desktop.  I dislike floating icons and
>       usually remove them immediately, preferring to invoke applications
>       from the panel (with a single click!).  And, this is the worst
>       bit.  The icons are all owned by root!  A user cannot edit the
>       preferences, or delete the icon.

I haven't actually done this, but you could remove your icons from
~/.gnome-desktop. Mine are owned by my user.

 For pity's sake, what are the
>       Gnome developers smoking?

Ask them, it's sure to be good ;)

>       There appears to be no way to specify the number of workspaces;
>       I normally have 6, the default is 4.  I suspect that there is
>       somewhere that this can be done, as root no doubt.

Right click on the workspace switcher, click Prederences. You can have
as many as you wish.

> Sorry for the rant - hope I have not offended anyone.

Not at all, mate. I have my own issues with the desktop, but I suspect
it's more a Mdk than a Gnome problem for me. Keep rockin'.

Meliton.