On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 23:35, Len Lawrence wrote:
> Well, that's it.  No more Mandrake.  Linux Format provided 9.0 on DVD
> this month, so I gave it a go.  Installation on my old Pentium III was
> totally painless, and DVDs are definitely the way to go.  Then up came
> the user interface and what a nasty shock that was!  I had seen
> complaints on the list about Nautilus and MetaCity but I had not
> imagined how bad Gnome 2 was.  A giant leap backwards.  All the
> freedom and functionality that I had been enjoying for six years
> suddenly gone.  Simply put, I cannot live with that interface.  My
> needs are few, but I insist on having control over my own desktop.
> The Gnome developers have completely lost the plot.  For people who
> must have a Windows style environment KDE was designed for them.  I
> would never use it, have never liked Windows.
>
> This is what I found:
>       Double-clicks all over the place - I HATE doubleclicking.
>       No sloppy-focus aka focus-follows-mouse.
>       User cannot place images on the root window without going
>       through Nautilus/MetaCity.  They get hidden by the window
>       manager's own backgrounds.  Now, for years I have been
>       compiling a collection of scanned calendar images (landscapes)
>       and astronomical vistas which I have been able to use as
>       wallpaper at whim, using my own little menu program.  I resent
>       being forced to jump through hoops to do something simple - it
>       is so Redmond don't you agree.
>       The font rendering leaves a lot to be desired.  This is the
>       first time fonts have ever been a problem, always crisp and
>       clear in both RedHat and Mandrake.  No doubt one can improve
>       them.
>       Icons all over the desktop.  I dislike floating icons and
>       usually remove them immediately, preferring to invoke applications
>       from the panel (with a single click!).  And, this is the worst
>       bit.  The icons are all owned by root!  A user cannot edit the
>       preferences, or delete the icon.  For pity's sake, what are the
>       Gnome developers smoking?
>       There appears to be no way to specify the number of workspaces;
>       I normally have 6, the default is 4.  I suspect that there is
>       somewhere that this can be done, as root no doubt.
>
> What this means is that Mandrake has lost a customer, and others will
> vote with their feet as well unless Mandrake or somebody influential
> applies pressure on the Gnomes to change their heading.  By my calculation
> they are at least 90 degrees off course.
>
> I shall buy the 8.2 Power Pack, as a last gesture of support for Mandrake.
> But that is the end, finish, no more.
>
> Sorry for the rant - hope I have not offended anyone.
> --
> Len Lawrence

Just to let ya know, GNOME is REMOVABLE - I did it. I HATE Gnome2, so I
removed it altogether, then dug out my trusty GNOME 1.4 and installed it
instead. MetaCity is NOT worth even mentioning, let alone using. Sawfish
is better by far. BTW, Gnome is trying to correct the errors of their
ways...

But overall, the KDE side of MDK ain't all that bad...and you do get
Enlightenment, WindowMaker and the ability to put more on...

--
Thu Nov 28 15:20:00 EST 2002
   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

Everyone can be taught to sculpt: Michelangelo would have had to be
taught how ___not to.  So it is with the great programmers.