On Thursday 28 Nov 2002 9:22 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Thursday 28 November 2002 01:02 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 Nov 2002 5:57 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Out of curiosity I decided to try the card reader again, now 9.0 is
> > > settled in.  To my surprise MCC recognises it as follows:
> >
> > I tried a re-boot, and found that my sda was now sdb, and the card was
> > recognised as sda.  Then I tried to mount it:
> > ---
> > mount /dev/hda /mnt/cardreader
> > mount: block device /dev/hda is write-protected, mounting read-only
> > mount: No medium found
> > [root@anne-linux anne]# umount /mnt/cardreader
> > umount: /mnt/cardreader: not mounted
> > ----
> >
> > I presume that this means that it is finding the CF slot, for which I
> > don't have a card, and not the SM slot, in which I have placed a card.
> >
> > Is that your interpretation?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne, was that a typo above or did you really mean sda? Again it has to
> have a partition designation. Try mount   /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 whichever
> is the smart card device. Just type in that and see what it returns. Then
> if you  cd to /mnt /cardreader it should show you data as in photos by
> doing "ls".HTH

A typo, but not sure whether it was in the email or the command, so I plugged
in again and rebooted.  This time I realised that it had added sda, moved the
LS120 to sdb and also added sdc - that is, according to MCC.  However, when I
booted I got a message that sda had been added - no mention of sdc.  I should
also say that the boot hung for a long time at 'finding dependencies',
re-starting as soon as I disconnected the cardreader, which I immediately
re-plugged.  I suspect that it is identifying the CF reader and loading the
appropriate drivers, but can't cope with the SM.

The root console now gives me:

[root@anne-linux anne]# mount /dev/sdc /mnt/cardreader
mount: special device /dev/sdc does not exist
[root@anne-linux anne]# mount /dev/sda /mnt/cardreader
mount: No medium found

Konqueror does not show any entries under /mnt/cardreader.

Anne