I've been on this list a fairly long time in 'newbie' years, a little
over a year at this point!

I started out with Mandrake 7.2 and progressed to 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2.
However, for the last several months I have not been using Mandrake.

Instead, I've been doing a 'distro a week', installing Red Hat 7.2, 7.3
(the 'official' system at work), and Red Hat 8.0 on a number of boxes.
My main computer at home runs Gentoo and I have another running a new
install of Libranet (Debian based).

I've remianed subscribed to this list because there is useful advice,
good tips, and because a lot of folks on the list are awesome in their
knowledge!

Before I rattle on too long...I installed Mandrake 9.0 on this box last
night. I'm very impressed.

My logitech webacm was immedidately detected and xawtv installed (no
other distro did that). My HP500PSC printer/copier/scanner was detected
as an Office Jet R40 (which usually happens and works fairly well as a
CUPS printer) *but* Mandrake knew it had a scanner built in and
installed a xsane backend. I can scan with Kooka! This is the first time
I ever got the scanner to actually work

Mandrake installed the arts soundserver which is much better quality
than the alsa sound server I had been using.

The menu structure is much more intuitive and easy to use than the mess
Red Hat makes out of menus.

In fact, I have given up on RH 8.0's Bluecurve look altogether. It's too
'dummied down' to allow easy access to the apps I'm used to and totally
fouls up the desktop when I switch back and forth between KDE or Gnome
in Gentoo versus KDE or Gnome in Red Hat where both distros use a shared
/home directory.

The MCC is a marvel..

I could go on, but I'm super impressed and can't believe I wanderred
away from Mandrake for so long. Kudos to Mandrake.

Terry Smith
Cape Cod USA