On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 09:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>    Ok, i tried what u said. Downloaded AutoClave and ran it. Did 1 pass since i tot
>that's enough. Reinstalled xp (NTFS). Later, resized it using PQMagic, having Fat32
>and ext2. Booted into Mandrake setup.....and!!!! Got the same problem!!! I feel it's
>not the harddisk then. Bios perhaps?
>    I also downloaded the clean up program from fujitsu(my harddisk manufacturer).
>Ran it and did the same thing, got the same problem.
>    If this goes on i'm going to sue Toshiba. ;)

Sean,

Once you had XP installed, did you boot into it to make sure it worked
o.k.before booting mandrake CD1?  I have only worked with Partition
Magic, not PQM, so I don't know if it messes up the mbr or not when
working with ntfs.

Presuming that it booted and ran o.k. in XP, then the problem is
elsewhere.

If it won't boot and run XP before you attempt the linux install, then
the problem may still lie in the way the partitions are set up (by PQM)
and now it writes the mbr after the partition change...or it may be the
XP install itself (errors in the CD burn, such as telling the software
to ignore errors so that it makes an exact duplicate of the original
with any/all intentional errors uncorrected).  Another problem could be
that the burn was 'bad' because it was burned at too fast a speed.
Anything burned over 8X is suspect and anything burned at 4X is
compatible with more CD drives--IMO.

I'm sure there could be other reasons for the error to continue to
plague your install, but those are the two areas I have seen most often.

Reaching a little:

What OS did the machine have on it originally?  Presuming that the XP
install will boot, would it be possible for you to install the original
OS, make the necessary changes to the partitions for the dual boot that
you want--make sure the original OS boots-- then install mdk and make
sure it boots.  Once all this is done, upgrade to XP, boot it to make
sure it works, then boot to linux and set lilo or grub to give you the
option of booting either.

--
Erik

Linux User 288105 @ http://counter.li.org